5 January 1836
# Southern #KnowSouthernHistory
On this date in 1836...
Davy Crockett arrived in Texas on his way to San Antonio and eventually the Alamo.
- 1781 – A British naval expedition led by traitor Benedict Arnold captured and burned Richmond, Virginia.
- 1808 - Explorer William Clark married Julia Hancock in Fincastle, Virginia.
- 1822 - Confederate General Joseph B. Kershaw was born in Camden, South Carolina.
- 1861 - Alabama state troops seized Fort Morgan and Fort Gaines on Mobile Bay.
- 1982 - In McLean vs. Arkansas, federal judge William Overton ruled that an Arkansas Law requiring the teaching of Creation Science as a counterpoint to evolution was unconstitutional.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved