27 January 1825
On this date in 1825...
The U.S. Congress approved Indian Territory in present-day Oklahoma clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians down the "Trail of Tears."
- 1785 – The first state university was chartered at Athens, Georgia.
- 1814 - Red Stick Creeks attacked an encampment of almost 1,000 Georgia militia and allied Indians on Callabee Creek. The Allies lost 22 killed and almost 150 wounded and the American expedition was forced to leave the area.
- 1826 - Confederate General Richard Taylor was born in the Zachary Taylor House at Louisville, Kentucky.
- 1870 - After accepting the 15th amendment, Virginia was readmitted to the United States.
- 1956 - Elvis Presley recorded his first single for RCA, "Heartbreak Hotel." It became the first of many #1 hits for Presley.
- 1967 - Astronauts Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom, Edward H. White and Roger B. Chaffee died in a flash fire during a test aboard their Apollo 1 spacecraft at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved