19 January 1807
On this date in 1807...
Confederate General Robert E. Lee was born in Stratford, Virginia.
- 1847 - Governor George Bent was attacked, killed, and scalped along with eight other Americans in Don Fernandez de Taos (now Taos) New Mexico while trying to prevent a revolt of Mexican and Pueblo Indians. Many Mexicans would join the revolt against the Americans.
- 1861 - Georgia seceded from the Union.
- 1862 - The Battle of Mill Springs, Kentucky.
- 1937 - Texas millionaire Howard Hughes set a transcontinental air record by flying his monoplane from Los Angeles to Newark, N.J., in 7 hours, 28 minutes and 25 seconds.
- 1977 - Snow fell for the only time in recorded history in Miami, Florida. Snow also fell in the Bahamas.
- 1982 – A heater exploded at Star Elementary School in Spencer, Oklahoma, killing 6 children and a teacher.
- 1987 - Guy Hunt became Alabama's first Republican governor since 1874.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved