27 February 1827
On this date in 1827...
A group of masked and costumed students danced through the streets of New Orleans, Louisiana, beginning the city's first Mardi Gras celebration.
- 1699 - Fearing an English take over of the Mississippi Valley, Pierre le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville began a voyage up the Mississippi River to establish a series of French forts.
- 1776 - The Continental Congress established the Southern Department of the Continental Army, consisting of Virginia, North and South Carolina and Georgia.
- 1836 - While attempting to cross the Withlacoochee River in Florida, General Edmund Gaines and 1,100 troops were attacked by a Seminole force of 1,500 warriors. Under fire, the troops built a stockade and fighting continued ten more days before both sides agreed to a truce.
- 1863 - Confederate President Jefferson Davis called for a national day of fasting and prayer.
- 1932 - A coal mine explosion killed 38 miners in Boissevain, Virginia.
- 1971 - Janis Joplin's album Pearl is released posthumously.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved