3 February 1959
On this date in 1959...
Texas natives and rock and roll pioneers Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and JP “Big Bopper” Richardson died in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.
- 1779 - Maj. General William Moultrie defeated a British detachment at Port Royal Island, South Carolina.
- 1807 - Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston was born in Farmville, Virginia.
- 1847 - A force led by General Sterling Price reached the fortified Taos Pueblo. Cannon failed to affect the pueblo, so Price pulled back to the city of Taos.
- 1900 - Governor-elect William Goebel died after being mortally wounded by an assassin in Frankfort, Kentucky. The plot blamed on political opponents resulted in years of trials and mistrials in the end only two men acttually went to prison. The identity of the actual conspirators and assasin are still hotly debated.
- 1913 - The 16th Amendment, establishing federal income tax, was declared ratified.
- 1931 - The Arkansas legislature passed a resolution to pray for the soul of columnist H.L. Mencken after he called the state "the apex of moronia."
- 1956 - Black student Autherine Lucy was admitted to the University of Alabama.
- 1998 - Karla Faye Tucker was executed in Texas becoming the first woman executed in the U.S. since 1984.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved