10 February 1763
On this date in 1763...
The Treaty of Paris, "The definitive Treaty of Peace and Friendship between his Britannick Majesty, the Most Christian King, and the King of Spain” was signed at Paris, France to end the French and Indian War. England claimed sovereignty over all lands and Indians east of the Mississippi River.
- 1861 - Jefferson Davis was notified by telegraph that he had been chosen as provisional President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1863 – The first U.S. fire extinguisher patent was granted to Alanson Crane, of Virginia.
- 1923 – Texas Tech University was founded as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas
- 1927 - Soprano Leontyne Price was born in Laurel, Mississippi.
- 1967 – The 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified dealing with presidential succession.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved