28 February 1993
On this date in 1993...
A gun battle erupted near Waco, Texas, when Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents tried to serve warrants on the Branch Davidian commune; four agents and six Davidians were killed as a 51-day standoff began.
- 1675 - The Spanish Mission Santa Cruz de Sabacola El Menor was dedicated for the Sawoklis Indians on the Apalachicola River.
- 1827 - The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad became the first American railway chartered for freight and passengers.
- 1837 - A band of Creek warriors attacked the Alberson homestead on the Alabama-Florida border and massacre the entire family.
- 1863 - The C.S.S. Nashville was destroyed by the U.S.S. Montauk near Fort McAllister, Georgia.
- 1960 - Richard Petty won his first Winston Cup race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in North Carolina.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved