21 March 1865
On this date in 1865...
Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston's troops halted the rampage of Sherman's yankee troops through the Carolinas at Bentonville, North Carolina.
- 1788 - A Fire destroyed 856 buildings in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1841 - More than 200 Tallahassee Seminole prisoners boarded a boat in Tampa Bay bound for Indian Territory. Fifteen of the Indians die in transit.
- 1883 - Chiricahua Apaches Chato, Bonito and Chihuahua raided a mining settlement near Tombstone, Arizona and escaped to Mexico, triggering a raid into Mexico by General George Crook to find the Apaches.
- 1891 - A Hatfield married a McCoy in West Virginia and ended the bloody 20-year feud that started with an accusation of pig theft.
- 1916 - Confederate guerrilla and bandit Thomas Coleman "Cole" Younger died at Lee's Summit, Missouri.
- 1925 - Tennessee passed The Butler Act, which prohibited the teaching of evolution.
- 1965 - More than 3,000 civil rights demonstrators led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. began their march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved