18 March 1782
On this date in 1782 – Southern statesman, Secretary of War, and U.S. Vice-President John C. Calhoun was born in Abbeville, South Carolina.
- 1541 - Hernando de Soto observed the first recorded flood in American history on the Mississippi River.
- 1865 - The Confederate States Congress adjourned its final sesion.
- 1937 - A gas explosion at the school in New London, Texas killed 294 victims.
- 1968 - The U.S. Congress repealed the requirement for a gold reserve to back U.S. currency and took America off the gold standard.
- 2003 - FBI agents raided the corporate headquarters of the HealthSouth Corporation in Birmingham, Alabama on suspicion of corporate fraud by the company's executives.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved