24 March 1958
On this date in 1958...
Elvis Presley was inducted into the U.S. Army and processed at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas. He served in Germany from October 1958 to March 1960.
- 1617 - King James I of England directed the Anglican church to collect funds to build churches and schools to educate the Indians of Virginia.
- 1629 - The first game law in the American colonies was passed by Virginia.
- 1864 - General Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry recaptured Union City, Tennessee.
- 1982 - The submarine U.S.S. Jacksonville collided with a Turkish freighter off the Virginia coast.
- 1998 - Two students, aged 11 and 13, opened fire upon teachers and students with rifles from ambush at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Five people were killed and ten wounded. Arkansas Law at the time (later changed) required the suspects be held as juveniles and released at age 18.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved