22 March 1622
On this date in 1622...
Tribes of the Powhattan Confederation killed 347 English settlers in and around Jamestown, Virginia in the first American Indian massacre of whites.
- 1764 - Tunica, Ofo, Avoyel, and Choctaw Indians attacked a group of English boats searching for a fugitive slave who has taken shelter with the Indians. Six Englishmen were killed before they abandoned the search.
- 1817 - Conrederate General Baxton Bragg was born in Warrenton, North Carolina.
- 1864 - Confederate Army of Tennessee troops languishing in their winter quarters fought "The Great Snowball Fight" near Dalton, Georgia.
- 1972 - Congress sent the proposed Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution to the states for ratification. It fell short of the three-fourths approval needed.
- 1975 - A fire at the Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in Decatur, Alabama causes citizens to evacuate because of a dangerous loss of cooling water to the reactor.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved