1 April 1934
On this date in 1934...
Clyde Barrow killed two young highway patrolmen, H. D. Murphy and Edward Bryant Wheeler, at the intersection of Route 114 and Dove Road near Grapevine, Texas. Bonnie Parker's role in the murders was greatly exaggerated, but it helped turn public perception against the gang for good and led to their eventual demise.
- 1536 - Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca and a few men reached San Miguel in New Galicia, after being shipwrecked in Galveston, Texas and marching across the continent to California.
- 1823 - Confederate General Simon Bolivar Buckner was born in Hart County, Kentucky.
- 1863 - Confederate General Stand Watie was authorized to raise his own brigade. The Cherokee leader was the first and only Native American to serve as a General in the War of Northern Aggression on either side.
- 1865 - The Battle of Five Forks, Virginia.
- 1936 - Famed mobster Charles "Lucky" Luciano was arrested in Hot Springs, Arkansas on a criminal warrant from New York.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved