17 April 2004
On this date in 2004...
The remains of the Confederate submarine crew recovered from the C.S.S. Horace L. Hunley were reinterred with Confederate military honors at Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1783 - British troops and Chickasaw Indians attacked, but failed to seize Arkansas Post in the westernmost battle related to the American War for Independence.
- 1818 - General Andrew Jackson left for Florida to fight against the Seminole tribe.
- 1861 - Virginia responded to U.S. President Lincoln's call for troops by rescinding its ratification of the U.S. Constitution and seceding from the Union...
- 1864 - There were food riots in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1961 - About 1,500 CIA-trained Cuban exiles based in Florida launched the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba in a failed attempt to overthrow the government of Fidel Castro.
- 2013 - Fifteen people were killed and more than a hundred injured after a burning fertilizer plant exploded in West, Texas.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved