23 May 1934
On this date in 1934...
Texas Ranger Frank Hamer and deputies killed bank robbers Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow in a police ambush as they drove a stolen Ford Deluxe along a dirt road outside Arcadia in Bienville Parish, Louisiana.
- 1609 - The Second Charter of Virginia Colony was officially ratified.
- 1788 - South Carolina ratified the U.S. Constitution and became the 8th U.S. state.
- 1838 - This was the deadline under the New Echota Treaty for the Cherokee to voluntarily emigrate to Indian Territory in present-day Oklahoma. Any Cherokees still east of the Mississippi River past this date were to be forced to leave.
- 1861 - Virginia citizens voted 3 to 1 in favorand Virginia officially seceded from the Union.
- 1862 - General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's troops routed federals at Battle of Front Royal, Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley campaign.
- 1864 - The four-day Battle of North Anna River, Virginia began.
- 1867 - The James-Younger gang was blamed for a bank robbery in Richmond, Missouri. Two people were killed and $4,000 taken.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved