1 May 1863
On this date in 1863...
The Second National Confederate Flag, "The Stainless Banner" was officially adopted by the Confederate States Congress.
- 1807 - Confederate General John B. Magruder was born in Port Royal, Virginia.
- 1833 - A census of the Creek upper towns registered 14,142 people, including 445 Negro slaves.
- 1841 - The first emigrant wagon train left Independence, Missouri, for California.
- 1852 - Western legend Calamity Jane was born as Martha Jane Canary in Princeton Missouri.
- 1863 - The Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia began.
- 1863 - The Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi.
- 1864 - The Battle of Alexandria, Louisiana in the Red River Campaign began.
- 1976 - The Empress Lilly, a replica of a Miscopy River paddle wheeler, was dedicated at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- 1991 - Texas Ranger Nolan Ryan pitched a record 7th no-hitter to beat Toronto 3-0.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved