18 May 1933
On this date in 1933...
The Tennessee Valley Authority was established to build hydro-electric stations at dams in the South for rural electrification and economic development when U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the Tennessee Valley Act.
- 1839 - General Alexander Macomb announces the peace terms agreed to with the Seminoles. The Seminoles are able to remain in Florida, but only near Lake Okeechobee.
- 1863 - The Siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi began.
- 1896 - The Supreme Court ruled in Plessy v. Fergusonthat separate-but-equal facilities were sufficient to satisfy the Fourteenth Amendment which guaranteed political, not social equality.
- 1902 - A tornado killed more than 230 people and wiped out Goliad, Texas.
- 1955 - Educator and political leader Mary McLeod Bethune died in Daytona Beach, Florida.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved