15 June 1934
On this date in 1934...
The U.S. Congress established the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee and North Carolina on what was once Cherokee land.
- 1774 - Harrodsburg, Kentucky was founded.
- 1822 - Denmark Vessy instigated and led a slave rebellion in South Carolina.
- 1836 - Arkansas became the 25th U.S. state.
- 1863 - The Battle of Winchester, Virginia.
- 1969 - The Southern country music, variety, and comedy show, Hee Haw first aired on CBS television and continued unabated for 21 years.
- 1970 - Black mobs rioted in Miami, Florida.
- 1971 - Black mobs rioted in Jacksonville, Florida.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved