21 August 1864
On this date in 1864...
- 1680 - The Pueblo Indians drove the Spanish out and took possession of Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- 1806 - Zebulon Pike’s Missouri expedition held a council with both the Grand and Little bands of the Osage tribe.
- 1821 - Confederate General William Barksdale was born in Smyrna, Tennessee.
- 1831 - The Nat Turner slave rebellion killed 55 people in Southampton County, Virginia.
- 1971 - At the age of 16, Laura Baugh pf Gainesville, Florida won the United States Women's Amateur Golf tournament. She was becoming the youngest winner in the history of the tournament.
- 1997 - Arkansas-based Hudson Foods closed a plant in Nebraska after it had recalled 25 million pounds of contaminated ground beef, the largest food recall in the U.S.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved