26 October 1795
On this date in 1795...
Pinckney's Treaty between Spain & US is signed, establishing southern boundary of US & giving Americans right to send goods down Mississippi.
- 1749 - The Georgia Colony reversed an earlier law and ruled slavery legal.
- 1774 - The First Continental Congress adjourned its session in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1810 - The U.S. annexed the Republic of West Florida.
- 1881 - The "Gunfight at the OK Corral" took place in Tombstone, Arizona between Wyatt Earp, his two brothers and Doc Holiday against the Ike Clanton Gang.
- 1911 - Gospel singer Mahalia Jackson was born in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 1962 - The Soviet Union made an offer to end the Cuban Missile Crisis by taking their missile bases out of Cuba if the U.S. agreed to not invade Cuba.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved