15 November 1992
On this date in 1992 – NASCAR legend Richard Petty retired after running the Hooters 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway with 200 career wins in the Winston Cup series.
- 1763 - Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began surveying the Mason-Dixon Line to set the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- 1777 - The Continental Congress formally adopted the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.
- 1824 - At Harrison’s Landing in Arkansas territory, the Quapaw tribe signed a treaty giving up their claim to land between the Arkansas Post and Little Rock, southward to the Saline River and agreeing to live on land promised to the Caddo.
- 1966 - The flight of Gemini 12 ended successfully as astronauts James A. Lovell and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin Jr. splashed down safely in the Atlantic Ocean off the Southern coast.
- 1969 - A quarter of a million protesters staged a peaceful demonstration in Washington, D.C., against the Vietnam War.
- 1995 - Texaco agreed to pay $176 million to settle a race-discrimination lawsuit.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved