24 November 1963
On this date in 1963 - Jack Ruby shot and mortally wounded Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin of U.S. President John F. Kennedy.
- 1832 - South Carolina passed its Ordinance of Nullification and declared the Tariffs of 1828 and 1832 null and void within the state’s borders.
- 1861 - Federal troops gained a foothold on Tybee Island, Georgia.
- 1863 - Battle of Lookout Mountain, Tennessee.
- 1969 - Apollo 12 landed safely in the Pacific Ocean bringing an end to the second manned mission to the moon.
- 1996 - Rusty Wallace won the first NASCAR event to be held in Japan.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved