3 November 1793
On this date in 1793 - Texas pioneer and impresario Stephen F. Austin was born in Wythe County, Virginia.
- 1762 – As part of the Treaty of Fountainbleau, Spain acquires all of French Louisiana west of the Mississippi River due to the "French and Indian War."
- 1813 - Confederate General Jubal Early was born in Franklin County, Virginia.
- 1862 – Gunboats fought for three days on Bayou Teche, Louisiana.
- 1863 - Battle of Grand Coteau in Southwestern Louisiana.
- 1883 – Racially motivated riots in Danville, Virginia killed 4 people.
- 1955 - An Alabama woman was bruised on the hip by a meteorite.
- 1957 - "Great Balls of Fire," by Jerry Lee Lewis rocketed up the charts and became Sun Records' best-selling record.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved