16 November 1798
On this date in 1798 - The Kentucky state legislature passed the first resolution authored by Thomas Jefferson to nullify the Alien and Sedition Acts. This made Kentucky the first state to nullify an act of Congress.
- 1864 - Federal General W.T. Sherman and his troops began their infamous "March to the Sea" campaign of war crimes against civilians and the wholesale devastation of private property in Georgia.
- 1907 - Indian Territory became Oklahoma, the 46th U.S. state.
- 1915 - Coca-Cola had its prototype for a countoured bottle patented. The bottle made its commercial debut the next year.
- 1957 - Jim Brown of St, Simon, Georgia while playing for the Cleveland Browns set an NFL season rushing record of 1163 yards after only eight games.
- 1999 - Johnny Depp of Kentucky received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved