8 November 1861
On this date in 1861 - Confederate Commissioners to England, James Mason & John Slidell were seized by the crew of the U.S.S. San Jacinto from the British ship H.M.S. Trent on the high seas in violation of international law.
- 1954 - The American League approved the transfer of the Philadelphia Athletics baseball team to Kansas City, MO.
- 1983 - Martha Layne Collins (D) was elected as the first female governor of Kentucky.
- 1979 - U.S. Senators John Warner (R-VA) and Mac Mathias (R-MD) introduced legislation to provide a site on the National Mall for the building of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
- 2000 - In Florida, a statewide recount began to decide the winner of the 2000 U.S. presidential election.
- 2000 - Waco special counsel John C. Danforth released his final report that absolved the government of wrongdoing in the 1993 seige of the Branch Davidian compound in Texas.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved