17 December 1903
On this date in 1903...
Orville and Wilbur Wright took the first successful man-powered airplane flights at Kill Devil Hills, near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- 1821 - Kentucky abolished debtors' prisons.
- 1860 - The South Carolina Secession Convention convened at First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina.
- 1862 - General Wade Hampton's Confederate cavalry raided Federal supply depots at Occoquan, Virginia.
- 1862 - General Ulysses S. Grant issued General Order #11, expelling Jews from Tennessee.
- 1976 - WTCG-TV, Atlanta, Georgia, changed its call letters to WTBS, and was uplinked via satellite, becoming the first commercial TV station to cover the entire U.S.
- 1988 – The USS Tennessee SSBN-73, the first nuclear sub to carry Trident 2 missiles was commissioned with its home port of King’s Bay, Georgia.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved