13 December 1862
On this date in 1962...
Federal General Ambrose E. Burnside wasted 12,653 of his own troops in a doomed frontal attack during the Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- 1801 - In treaty negotiations at Fort Adams, Mississippi, the U.S. agrees to give the Choctaw training in the spinning of cotton, and to provide them spinning wheels.
- 1862 - The Georgia General Assembly created the Georgia State Line Troops.
- 1864 - Ft. McAllister, Georgia fell to General W.T. Sherman's federal invaders.
- 1887 - Alvin York, the most decorated American soldier of WWI was born in Pall Mall, Tennessee.
- 1983 - Martha Layne Collins was inaugurated as Kentucky's first female governor.
- 2000 - The "Texas Seven" escaped from the John Connally Correctional Unit near Kenedy, Texas and went on a crime spree, killing police officer Aubrey Hawkins.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved