14 February 1779
On this date in 1779...
A Patriot force led by Andrew Pickens and Elijah Clarke defeated North Carolina Tories at the Battle of Kettle Creek, Georgia.
- 1855 - Texas was linked by telegraph to the rest of the United States, with the completion of a connection between New Orleans and Marshall, Texas.
- 1862 – The Confederate shore batteries of Fort Donelson, exchanged fire with attacking federal ironclads.
- 1867 - Morehouse College organized in Augusta, Georgia.
- 1912 - The former Confederate Territory of Arizona was admitted to the union as the 48th U.S. state.
- 1957 - The Southern Christian Leadership Conference, comprised of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Charles K. Steele and Fred L. Shuttlesworth, was organized. King was the organization's first president.
- 1978 - The first microchip was patented by Texas Instruments.
- 1998 – Federal authorities announced that Eric Robert Rudolph was suspect in an Alabama abortion clinic bombing.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved