23 February 1847
On this date in 1847...
Jefferson Davis became a national hero at the head of his Mississippi troops in the Mexican War Battle of Buena Vista.
- 1836 - A large Mexican force commanded by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna arrived suddenly at San Antonio to begin the siege of Texas patriots in the Alamo.
- 1838 - Confederate General Gilbert Moxley Sorrel was born in Savanah, Georgia.
- 1861 - Texas became the 7th state to secede from the Union.
- 1869 – The Louisiana reconstruction governor signed the public accommodations law.
- 1870 - Mississippi was readmitted to the union.
- 1883 - Alabama became the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- 1983 - The United States Environmental Protection Agency announced its intent to buy out and evacuate the dioxin-contaminated community of Times Beach, Missouri.
- 1998 - Tornadoes struck Florida killing at least 31 people.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved