22 February 1861
On this date in 1862...
The second and permanent Confederate Congress officially adopted this date for formation of the CSA to honor the 130th anniversary of George Washington’s birthday. (Washington is prominently featured on the Great Seal of the Confederate States)
- 1732 - First U.S. President and Revelotionary War Commander George Washington was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia.
- 1819 - The U.S. and Spain signed the Adams-Onís Treaty of 1819, ceding Florida to the U.S. and setting a boundary between the U.S. and New Spain. (Mexico including Texas)
- 1821 - Spain officially ceded East Florida to the United States for $5 million.
- 1862 - President Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as the official President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1865 - Wilmington, North Carolina fell to federal troops.
- 1865 - Occupied Tennessee adopted its reconstruction constitution and abolished slavery
- 1944 - Cherokee First Lieutenant Jack C. Montgomery, with the Forty-fifth Infantry, Oklahoma National Guard near Padiglione, Italy, Montgomery single-handedly attacked German positions, killing eleven enemy soldiers and taking dozens of prisoners for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.
- 1946 - The first attack of the still-unsolved "Phantom" serial-murders occurred in Texarkana on the Arkansas-Texas border.
- 1959 - Lee Petty won the first Daytona 500.
- 2010 - Arkansas-based Walmart announced it was acquiring the video streaming company Vudu, Inc.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved