30 March 1822
On this date in 1822...
The U.S. Congress combined East and West Florida into Florida Territory.
- 1854 - Indians successfully defeated a company of U.S. Dragoons at Cieneguilla, New Mexico.
- 1862 - Federal troops attacked Union City, Tennessee.
- 1863 - Federal troops and Pin Indian allies attacked the Cherokee capital at Tahlequah, Indian Territory.
- 1870 - Texas became the last Confederate state readmitted to the union.
- 1909 - In Oklahoma, Seminole Indians revolted against lower pay for government jobs.
- 1910 - The Mississippi Legislature founded The University of Southern Mississippi at Hattiesburg.
- 1981 - President Ronald Reagan was shot and seriously injured outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John W. Hinckley Jr. Also wounded were White House news secretary James Brady, a Secret Service agent and a District of Columbia police officer.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved