8 March 1936
On this date in 1936...
The first stock car race was held on Daytona Beach, Florida.
- 1848 - Future Confederate General James Longstreet married Maria Louisa Garland in Lynchburg, Virginia.
- 1853 - The first bronze statue of Andrew Jackson was unveiled in Washington, DC.
- 1861 - St. Augustine, Florida surrendered to federal troops.
- 1862 - The C.S.S. Virginia began patrol near Hampton Roads, Virginia. The Virginia sank U.S.S. Cumberland, and damaged both the U.S.S. Minnesota and U.S.S. Roanoke on its first day.
- 1865 - The Battle of Kinston, North Carolina began.
- 1949 - WBAP-FM, began broadcasting in Fort Worth Texas.
- 1988 - At Fort Campbell, Kentucky 17 U.S. soldiers were killed when two Army helicopters suffered a midair collision.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved