1 March 1845
On this date in 1845...
President Tyler signed a resolution annexing the Republic of Texas to the United States.
- 1781 - The Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.
- 1831 - This was the deadline, according to a Georgia law, for all whites to be out of Cherokee lands.
- 1836 - Texas delegates met at Washington on the Brazos to consider independence from Mexico.
- 1875 – The U.S. Congress passed a third Civil Rights Act to guarantee equal access to public accommodations regardless of race or color.
- 1893 - Nikola Tesla demonstrated his radio for the first time in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1941 - The first FM radio station in the U.S., W47NV, began transmission in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1968 - Singer and actress June Carter (38) married country musician Johnny Cash (36) at a Franklin, Kentucky church.
- 1980 - Snow fell in Florida
- 1993 - Authorities near Waco, Texas began negotiations with the Branch Davidians.
- 2007 - Tornadoes swarmed across the southern United States, killing at least 20 people. Eight of the deaths were at a high school in Enterprise, Alabama.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved