11 March 1861
On this date in 1861...
The Confederate Congress unanimously adopted the Constitution of the Confederate States of America.
- 1824 - John C. Calhoun, U.S. Secretary of War, created the Bureau of Indian Affairs, within the War Department. Thomas McKenney was appointed its first commissioner.
- 1861 - General Braxton Bragg assumed command of the Confederate forces in Florida.
- 1862 - Confederate General Thomas J. Stonewall Jackson evacuated Winchester, Virginia.
- 1897 - A meteorite entered the earth's atmosphere and exploded over New Martinsville, West Virginia. The debris caused damage but no injuries.
- 1953 - A U.S. Air Force B-47 bomber accidentally dropped a nuclear bomb from 15,000 feet onto Mars Bluff, South Carolina. The bomb created a crater 75 feet across, but did not detonate due to its safety devices.
- 1993 - Janet Reno of Florida was unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate to become the first female attorney general.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved