19 March 1840
On this date in 1840...
During a peace conference and prisoner exchange between the Comanche and Texas settlers at the San Antonio council house a fight erupted after the Texans saw how Matilda Lockhart had been mutilated by her captors. Seven whites and thirty-three Comanche including 12 chiefs died in what became known as the Council House Fight.
- 1687 - While searching for the mouth of the Mississippi River, French explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle was murdered by his own men.
- 1865 - The Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina began. This was the last significant attempt to stop the invading federal army of W.T. Sherman.
- 1879 - Jim Currie opened fire on several actors near Marshall, Texas wounding Maurice Barrymore and killing Ben Porter.
- 1908 - The state of Maryland barred Christian Scientists from practicing without medical diplomas.
- 1953 - Tennessee Williams' play "Camino Real" premiered in New York City.
- 1954 - The first rocket-sled on rails was tested in Alamogordo, New Mexico.
- 1968 - Students at Howard University seized the administration building.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved