28 April 1788
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 1788...
Maryland ratified the U.S. Constitution and became the 7th U.S. state.
- 1635 - Virginia colony Governor John Harvey was accused of treason and removed from office.
- 1862 - Forts Jackson and St. Phillip on the Mississippi river surrendered to federal troops.
- 1871 - In response to raids near Tucson, William Oury embarked, leading 140 armed white and Mexican settlers for the Apache village near Camp Grant, Arizona.
- 1882 - Remnants of Chiricuhua Chief Loco's Apache were routed by Troops of the 6th U.S. Cavalry, and a company of Indian scouts south of Cloverdale, Arizona. The surviving Indians fled to Mexico.
- 1924 - One Hundred Nineteen were killed in a Benwood, West Virginia coal mine disaster.
- 2012 - One was killed and 110 injured in a tent collapse in St Louis, Missouri.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved