2 April 1865
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 1865...
After the Battle of Fort Gregg, Virginia, the city of Richmond was abandoned. The Confederate government retreated to Danville, Virginia where President Jefferson Davis issued his last official order.
- 1513 - According to some sources, on this date Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de Leon discovered Florida and landed south of the St. John's River to claim Florida for Spain, however the exact date is still debated.
- 1863 - Food riots broke out in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1891 - Sovereign Grand Master of the Southern Jurisdiction of Scottish Rite Freemasonry, Confederate General, and Confederate Indian Commissioner, Albert Pike died at the Scottish Rite House of the Temple in Washington DC.
- 1931- A teenage girl struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig at a New York Yankees exhibition game in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- 2006 - In an outbreak of more than 60 tornadoes Tennessee was hardest hit, with 29 people killed.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved