10 April 1837
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 1837...
As part of the treaty signed on 6 March 1837, the Seminole were to report to Tampa Bay no later than this date for transport to the Indian Territory. However, General Jessup had already reneged on key provisions of the treaty and the Indians doubted the United States would live up to the rest of the agreement. Many Seminole simply disappeared into the woods and swamps and refused deportation.
- 1796 - Knife-fighter, adventurer, and Alamo hero James Bowie was born in Logan County, Kentucky.
- 1806 - Confederate General and Episcopalian Bishop Leonidas Polk was born in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1871 - Apache warriors raided the San Xavier mission, south of Tucson, to steal livestock.
- 1929 - The Sneed tornado obliterated several communities in Arkansas. The destruction was so thorough that casualties were inestimable and the towns were never rebuilt. To date, this remains the only confirmed F-5 twister to strike the state.
- 1979 - A devastating tornado touched down in Wichita Falls, Texas, killing 42 people during the Red River Valley Tornado Outbreak.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved