6 May 1861
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 1861...
After U.S. President Abraham Lincoln’s call for troops to subdue their sister Southern states, Arkansas and Tennessee seceded from the Union.
- 1840 - A powerful tornado struck Natchez, Mississippi and killed 109 people.
- 1851 - The Cherokee Nation opened a seminary (high school) for men in Indian Territory.
- 1851 - The mechanical refrigerator was developed and patented by Dr. John Gorrie of Apalachicola, Florida.
- 1864 - Confederate General James Longstreet was seriously wounded in the second day of fighting at the Battle of the Wilderness.
- 1960 - U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower signed the Civil Rights Act of 1960.
- 1994 - Paula Jones filed suit against U.S. President Bill Clinton, alleging that he had sexually harassed her as an Arkansas state worker in 1991.
- 1999 - Scotland elected its first separate parliament in three centuries.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved