14 May 1836
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 1836...
Mexican president and General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna signed the Treaties of Velasco, in which he agreed to withdraw his troops across the Rio Grande River and recognize the Republic of Texas in exchange for safe conduct back to Mexico.
- 1607 - The first permanent British settlement in North America was established at Jamestown, Virginia.
- 1787 - Delegates began gathering in Philadelphia for a convention to draw up the U.S. Constitution.
- 1804 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition departed St. Louis, Missouri to explore the Louisiana Purchase.
- 1980 - U.S. President Jimmy Carter established the Department of Health and Human Services.
- 1988 - A drunk driver going the wrong way on Interstate 71 near Carrollton, Kentucky, hit a church bus carrying a youth group. The crash and ensuing fire killed 27 children and adults.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved