8 June 1845
On this date in 1845...
U.S. President and Battle of New Orleans hero General Andrew Jackson died at his home, The Hermitage, outside Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1862 - Confederates under General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson routed federal troops the Battle of Cross Keys in the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1861 - Tennesseans voted in open election to secede from the union.
- 1874 - Apache leader Cochise died in New Mexico Territory.
- 1969 - Authorities announced the capture in London of James Earl Ray, the suspected assassin of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
- 1991 - In the college baseball World Series, Louisiana State University won the NCAA championship defeating Wichita State, 6-3.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved