26 June 1977
On this date in 1977...
Elvis Presley gave what would be his last live performance before a packed crowd at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1791 - American negotiators, led by William Blount, began the illegal Treaty of Holston negotiations today with the Cherokee.
- 1844 - John Tyler of Virginia married Julia Gardiner, becoming the first U.S. President to marry while in office.
- 1862 - The Battle of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
- 1963 - U.S. President John F. Kennedy visited West Berlin, where he made his famous declaration at the Brandenburg Gate: "Ich bin ein Berliner." He meantto say "I am a Berliner" in German.
- 1996 - The U.S. Supreme Court ordered the Virginia Military Institute to admit women or forgo state support.
- 2003 - The U.S. Supreme Court reversed an earlier decision and stated in its Lawrence v. Texas decision that gender-based sodomy laws were unconstitutional.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved