11 June 1969
On this date in 1969...
The movie True Grit starring John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Kim Darby, and Robert Duvall, based on the novel by Arkansas native Charles Portis held its premier in a Hot Springs, Arkansas theater.
- 1859 - The Comstock Lode silver deposits were discovered near Virginia City, Nevada and later used to finance the War of Northern Aggression.
- 1863 - Confederate cavalry General "J.E.B." Stuart was mortally wounded at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, Virginia.
- 1864 - Confederate cruiser C.S.S. Alabama pulled into the harbor of Cherbourg, France.
- 1900 - Famed Confederate spy and heroine
- 1946 - County music legend Hank Williams first appeared on the stage of the Grand Old Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1963 - Alabama Governor Wallace resisted a federal judge's order and tried to prevent blacks from registering at University of Alabama.
- 1967 - The Florida National Guard had to be mobilized to stop black rioters in Tampa Florida.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved