25 June 1788
On this date in 1788...
The Commonwealth of Virginia ratified the U.S. Constitution against Patrick Henry's advice and became the 10th U.S. state.
- 1528 - Spanish Adventurer Pánfilo de Narváez and his expedition crossed the Suwannee River to occupy a village of forty houses they called Apalachen, in Florida where they remained for a month's fighting frequently with local Indians.
- 1862 - The Seven Days Battles opened with Battle of King's School House, Virginia.
- 1864 - Federal troops surrounding Petersburg, Virgina, began building a mine tunnel underneath the Confederate lines.
- 1868 - Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina were readmitted to the Union.
- 1962 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the use of unofficial non-denominational prayer in public schools was unconstitutional.
- 2008 - An employee shot and killed five people after an argument, which ended in the gunman's suicide at Atlantis Plastics in Henderson, Kentucky.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved