3 July 1863
On this date in 1863...
Confederate generals George Pickett and John Pettigrew launched their divisions on a doomed charge up Cemetery Ridge at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. After ineffective artillery fire began the battle, Pickets Division was practically destroyed by massed federal rifle and artillery fire, but even still managed to reach and briefly take a small part of the federal line before being repulsed by a counter attack.
- 1724 - Frenchman Etienne Veniard de Bourgmont left Fort Orleans to meet with the Padoucas tribe in an effort to establish peace and trade with them. He is accompanied by 100 Missouri and 64 Osage warriors.
- 1775 - Gen. George Washington took command of the Continental Army.
- 1962 - Jackie Robinson of Cairo, Georgia became the first black player to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1990 - The members of the 2 Live Crew rap group were formally charged with obscenity in Florida.
- 1994 - According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, This is the deadliest day in Texas traffic history, with forty-six people were killed in crashes on the state’s highways.
- 1997 - Mississippi became the first state to settle the tobacco lawsuit.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved