19 July 1954
On this date in 1954...
Sun Records of Memphis, Tennessee released the first single byElvis Presley, "That's All Right Mama" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky." Both tracks are covers of blues and bluegrass tunes. Presley's renditions become instant hits on Memphis radio. Other stations are not as enthusiastic and give the record mixed reviews.
- 1866 - Tennessee’s occupation government becomes the first state government to ratify the 14th Amendment to the U.S. constitution.
- 1879 - Doc Holliday killed for the first time, shooting a man who shot up his New Mexico saloon.
- 1912 - An estimated 85 pound meteorite exploded over Navajo County, Arizona, causing approximately 16,000 pieces of debris to rain down on the town of Holbrook.
- 1942 - German U-boats were withdrawn from positions off the Southern Atlantic and Gulf coasts due to heavy losses.
- 1996 - The XXVI Summer Olympic games opened in Atlanta, Georgia.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved