24 July 1925
On this date in 1925...
The Scopes “Monkey Trial” ended in Dayton, Tennessee, with John T. Scopes convicted of violating a state law against teaching Darwin’s theory of evolution. Scopes was fined $100 plus court costs. His conviction was later overturned on a technicality.
- 1758 - George Washington was admitted to the Virginia House of Burgesses.
- 1836 - Creek Indians defeated Georgia militia in a brief fight near Wesley Chapel in present-day Stewart County, Georgia.
- 1864 - The second Battle of Kernstown, Virginia.
- 1866 - Tennessee became the first state to be readmitted to the US.
- 1901 - Writer William Sydney Porter, better known by his pen name of O. Henry was released from prison in Austin, Texas after serving three years for bank embezzlement.
- 1937 - The state of Alabama dropped charges against the “Scottsboro Boys,” five young black men accused of raping a white woman in Scottsboro, Alabama.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved