15 July 1864
On this date in 1864...
An Erie Railroad train jammed with Confederate prisoners, collided with a freight train in New York. More than 100 injured prisoners were dumped into the Elmira, New York prison compound without treatment. Most died within a few days.
- 1539 - Spanish Conquistador Hernando de Soto’s expedition began its march inland from Tampa Bay on his exploration of the South.
- 1830 - The Sioux, Sauk & Fox tribes signed a fourth Treaty of Prairie du Chien guaranteeing the U.S. government control of most of Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri.
- 1862 - The ironclad ram C.S.S. Arkansas survived a night attack by the federal fleet of U.S. Admiral David Farragut as his ships downriver ran past the batteries at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1870 - Georgia was the first Confederate state to be readmitted to the U.S. during reconstruction.
- 1973 - Nolan Ryan of Refugio, Texas became the first pitcher in two decades to win two no-hitters in a season while playing for the California Angels.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved