27 August 2006
Read: Why Know Southern History?
On this date in 2006...
Comair Flight 5191 crashed on takeoff from Blue Grass International Airport in Lexington, Kentucky bound for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. Of the passengers and crew, 49 of 50 were confirmed dead from the crash. Only the flight’s first officer survived.
- 1667 - The earliest recorded hurricane in North America struck Jamestown, Virginia.
- 1861 - The Battle of Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina began.
- 1862 - The Battle of Second Manassas, Virginia began.
- 1881 - A hurricane struck Florida and the Carolinas. It is estimated that more than 700 people were killed.
- 1955 - While visiting family in Mississippi, fourteen-year-old Chicago resident Emmett Till was beaten, shot, and dumped in the Tallahatchie River for alleged lewd behavior.
- 1986 - Texas baseball legend Nolan Ryan, while playing for the Houston Astros, earned his 250th career win against the Chicago Cubs.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved