7 September 1936
On this date in 1936...
Rock and Roll icon Charles “Buddy” Holly was born in Lubbock Texas.
- 1838 - Confederate artilleryman and martyr Major John Pelham (promoted to Lieutenant Colonel after his death) was born near Alexandria, Alabama.
- 1943 - A fire in the decrepit old Gulf Hotel killed 45 in Houston, Texas.
- 1965 - Hurricane Betsy struck Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana killing 74.
- 1970 – Bill Shoemaker of Fabens, Texas, set the record for most lifetime wins as a jockey.
- 1971 - "The Beverly Hillbillies" aired its final episode on CBS-TV.
- 1986 - Dan Marino of the Miami Dolphins threw his 100th career touchdown pass, in only his 44th NFL game, which set a NFL record.
- 1998 - Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals set a new major league baseball record for most homeruns hit in a single season when he broke Roger Maris' 1961 record of 61.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved