2 October 1835
On this date in 1835...
The Battle of Gonzales was fought near the Guadalupe River when American settlers defeated a Mexican cavalry unit. . Gonzales was the first engagement of the Texas revolution.
- 1789 - transmits the proposed Constitutional amendments (The United States Bill of Rights) to the States for ratification
- 1861 - Former US VP John C Breckinridge fled Kentucky
- 1862 - The Battle of Columbia, Mississippi.
- 1876 - The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas opened as the state's first venture into public higher education.
- 2013 - Eight people were killed and 14 injured after an accident involving an SUV, church bus, and tractor trailer in Jefferson County, Tennessee
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved